Apply for a Job
The City of Colby is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
The application may be downloaded from the following link:
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat reader to view
Police Officer I or II
The Colby Police Department is currently seeking applications for the position of Police Officer I or II. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen and meet the Department standards in the following categories: background investigation; written, oral, psychological and physical agility testing. The City of Colby provides employees with an optional health and life insurance package, sick leave, vacation, KPERS retirement benefits, overtime provisions, uniforms and equipment (cleaning supplied). Starting salary will depend on qualifications. Starting salary is based on experience. Police officers work rotating 12-hour shifts, to include nights and weekends. Officers do have every other three-day weekend off. Applications are available from the link above or from the Colby Police Department, 275 N. Court Ave. Colby, Kansas 67701. (Phone: 785-460-4460). EEO Applications accepted until position filled.
Fire Service Officer
The Colby Fire Department is currently seeking applications for the position of Fire Service Officer. Under the direction of the Chief and Assistant Chief, is responsible to work all required relief shifts of the Fire Department; performs and coordinates the overall training and maintenance of the Fire Department; is the 24-hour on-call officer in a rotation schedule with the Chief and Assistant Chief; assumes command of the Fire Department at departmental incidents. Possess a Class B Kansas driver’s license; Haz-Mat Technician certification desirable; certification at Firefighter II level; certification as Kansas Emergency Medical Technician. The City of Colby is an equal opportunity employer and provides employees with an excellent benefit package. Starting salary depends on qualifications. Additional information or application can be obtained above or from the office of the City Manager, 585 N. Franklin, Colby, Kansas 67701 (785-460-4410). Application review to begin upon receipt of application. Position open until filled. EOE
Recreation & Facilities Assistant
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
Under general direction of the Recreation & Facilities Director, effectively directs, coordinates and monitors the day-to-day recreational, educational, and training events of the City of Colby Facilities.
STARTING ENTRY LEVEL $19.00/hr.
- Participates in the day-to-day operation of all facilities:
- Colby Event Center
- Young Memorial Park (Ballfield Complex)
- Colby Aquatic Park
- Organizes, directs, and coordinates the set-ups and clean-up for events held at facilities;
- Answer phones and assist with daily customer service;
- Supervises part-time, and seasonal employees;
- Assists with ensuring facilities are clean, orderly and safe and meets the guests' expectations;
- Upgrades and keeps current various certifications, i.e., lifeguarding, safety training, CPR, First Aid training, etc. for facility employees;
- Assists in all aquatic staff orientations; learns mechanical and chemical balancing sides of pool operations;
- Coaches and/or officiates youth sporting events when needed;
- Prepares ballfields for games and other upcoming events;
- Planning, scheduling, developing program services and activities, reserve facilities and scheduling of grounds use;
- Assist with maintenance of facilities, coordinate instructors, staff and volunteers;
- Ability to work well with individuals and groups using all facilities;
- Ability to plan and organize work schedules;
- Ability to week weekday evenings and weekends when needed;
- Routinely lift 50-75 pounds; ability to stand, walk, climb, bend and kneel;
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of building equipment and swimming pool equipment;
- Skill in operation of personal computer, including Word and Excel;
- Ability to work in outdoor environment in exposure to hot weather;
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Experience supervising and managing employees; Experience working with young adults; Preferred certifications include American Red Cross Life Saving Certification and First Aid, CPR/AED; additional desired certification includes lifeguard training certification and “CPRP” (Certified Parks & Recreation Professional)
Applications may be found above and may be submitted to email@example.com or dropped off at City Hall 585 N. Franklin. Call 785-460-4435 with any questions you may have.
Street Maintenance Worker I
The City of Colby is accepting applications for the position of Street Maintenance Worker I. This position performs a variety of manual labor in the construction and maintenance of streets, sewers, water lines, parks, buildings, and airport; operates equipment; assists with snow removal operations; services & fuels equipment. Successful applicants will possess a Class “B” commercial driver’s license (or the ability to obtain a Class B CDL). Starting salary depends on qualifications. The City of Colby is an EOE and provides employees with an excellent benefit package. Additional information or application forms can be obtained below or from the office of the City Manager, 585 North Franklin Avenue, Colby, Kansas 67701 (785-460-4410). Application review will begin upon receipt. Open until filled.
Under the supervision of the Communications Director, the Communications Officer preforms specialized work in receiving and dispatching messages in the 911 Center. The Communications Officer is responsible for the operation of dispatch radios, computers, 911 and administrative phone lines. This position will receive and dispatch information, which may be of an emergency nature.
The position entails a 12-hour shift with a rotation of 4 days on and 4 days off. This will include days, nights, weekends and holidays. Successful applicants will possess a high school diploma or GED, the ability to quickly develop a general knowledge of law enforcement communication procedures and computer applications. The City of Colby Communications Center is an equal opportunity employer and provides employees with health insurance, sick leave, vacation, KPERS retirement benefit, and overtime provisions.
Persons wishing to apply may pick up an application at the Thomas County Justice Center, 275 N Court. You may also download an application at the top of the page. Application review to begin upon receipt of application. Open until filled.